Friday, December 20, 2013

Before and After

Before and after. I picked up a screw, and lost a little round bone!
I know you guys are just sitting by your computers, waiting for pictures of my foot surgery, right? ;) Well, wait no longer, friends! Here they are!

The surgery, as I believe I posted earlier, went pretty well. I was expecting to be in the most excruciating pain, because of stories I'd been told (why do people do that?), but through the magic of painkillers and a talented surgeon, I was off the pain pills in just a few days. Even when I was on them, what I felt couldn't even be described as discomfort. Whew!

Yesterday was my first post-op, and it looks like everything is healing up just fine. I was hoping he could correct the angle of my big toe a bit more, but he explained to me that it was about as far over as he could get it because of the shape of the joint. He also mentioned he thought it would loosen up a bit over time, which is fine with me! I'm excited that he was able to do as much as he did!

I've rented one of those knee-walker thingies and have been pretending that I'm a graceful ice skater again as I've been scooting around the house, to the horror of Mr. ShellHawk, who keeps begging me to slow down before I fall off and kill myself. Too fast, too furious, baby!

I've also been screaming at the dogs like a fishwife, to get away from me because I'm terrified they'll bump me and mess up the surgery. Thank the gods that dogs are really, really forgiving, and they just get out of the way and give me kisses and wags when they can get close to me!

So while I've been healing (only eleven more weeks to go!), I've been slowly working on a few ornaments for the family (which will likely not be done on time, but whatever!) and watching a lot of TV. 

I'm fairly bored, but I think I'll be able to get some things done that need doing and catch up on some reading, too. It's weird not to be able to do things for myself and to force myself to stay on the couch with my leg elevated. I'm more of an "activity junkie" than I realized! Years ago, someone told me I was a "human doing," not a human being, and this last week has really taught me the truth of that statement. I need to learn to just "be."

Next week is the trip down to L.A. for the obligatory family visit. I am not looking forward to getting through the airport, since just taking a shower is a major effort and leaves me exhausted, but I am looking forward to seeing folks down there!

So if I don't pop back on here before Christmas, Merry Christmas to all of you and yours! Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.