Monday, September 25, 2017

Dark Reading for a Sunday Afternoon

Click on the pic to go to My Scary Bookshelf...
The Autumn Equinox has come and gone, and I know that the beginnings of the Hallowe'en tourists will be traveling through my blog, soon, if a few haven't shown up, already, so I'll keep the life reports to a minimum from here until after The Big Dance (a.k.a., Hallowe'en).

In between doctors' visits, attorney phone calls and divorce mediation calls, I managed to commit to having a little ray of happiness shine in my life; I wrote a new segment for Hauntcast: Post Mortem's next episode.

It's an original story, and I think it actually turned out well! It's the longest one I've done to date, but I don't think it's so long as to be boring to listeners (at least I hope not!).

Add in the intro from Dick Terhune, the Voice From Hell, and it's absolutely wicked! (Oh, man! I love that guy's voice!)

After I got done recording, mixing down and producing my segment (with the foul luck of airplanes, lawn mowers and carbon monoxide beeping to contend with), I got it sent off to Chris Baker, our G-Host, so he could get it dropped in to the rest of the show. 

Then it was time to take a break. Voicing this particular segment felt very intense and emotionally draining, if you can believe it (or maybe it was the emotional hangover from this week's mediation call, bringing up all kinds of pain), and I was exhausted afterwards. I forced myself to take some time for myself to unwind and decompress for a while. I took a long walk in the neighborhood, and when I got back, I poured a glass of wine and brought out a book to get me in the mood for the season: Dead Harvest.

It's a collection of creepy short stories, and I've had it hanging around awhile, but haven't made the time to get to it. Yesterday seemed a good day to pour a glass of wine and enjoy the warm Sunday afternoon on the back patio, and dive into this. And so far, I like it!

As some of you may know, I have a Pinterest board of stories, prop-making books and other Hallowe'en eye candy, which I'll feature again in one of my October posts.

I also wanted to remind you my ShellHawk's Creations shop is open, so you can pick up a Hallowe'en thing or two! I have a few more jack-o'-lanterns to put in there, but there are some really cool ones available now!

Ah, I absolutely love this time of year!

4 comments:

  1. so, I can relate totally to what you're going through, Shell....my husband of 30 years just deserted me so I am in the same place as you. trying to make Halloween my refuge but I am 'unpracticed' to say the least. I said to you a while ago, "hang in there"...need to do the same myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Pam, I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to hear this! I know how devastating this is for you.

      Try to remember that we choose, every day, the experiences we want to have in life, even during these hard times of upheaval and forced change. I want to add that I'm not perfect at this; I've said things out of anger and hurt that I regret, and I haven't always controlled myself when people have taken his side. But when I can stop myself and remember to be present in the moment (experiencing the sadness, pain, sense of deep betrayal and hurt, etc. fully, instead of running away from it), I move through things more easily and with less resistance.

      Again, I'm so very sorry, Pam. It will get better, I promise.

      Delete
  2. Life can throw at lot at a person sometimes. I know we don't really "know" each other, but I'm sending you happy thoughts. That book sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Jeanne! After everything I've been put through since my birthday (which is when he chose to leave), I feel nearly bullet proof! ;)

      And it's a good book, so far!

      Delete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.