Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Dog Noir

About three months ago, now, my Sam was diagnosed with Splenic Hemangiosarcoma. He came through the surgery very well, but the oncologist told me the usual life expectancy after surgery was three to six months with chemotherapy. 

I just couldn't see putting my boy through that. Fortunately, there are a couple of alternative medicines which seem to have some ability to make him comfortable for however long he has left, and having joined the Hemangiosarcoma Facebook page, I have some hope he may last longer than what the doctor thought. He's still eating and completely ball-obsessed, which is situation normal for him! He's even taken well to the new addition in our home, Grace, a black German Shepherd pup.

Those of you who have followed this blog for a long time know how much I've loved my Sam and can imagine how devastating the diagnosis was for me. I am nowhere near ready to let him go, but since I don't get a vote on that, I decided that I do get a vote on how he's remembered.

Enter Diana Lundin Pet Photography! I found her webwsite through a Facebook ad promoting her "Dog Noir" style photoshoot. 
Since I am a lover of all things atmospheric and spooky, I decided to contact Diana for a session. I explained my (and Sam's) situation, letting her know that sooner would be better than later for a shoot. She expressed her sympathy and suggested a few spots for the shoot. L.A. has numerous locations suitable for a noir-themed photo shoot. We kicked around a few different options, and finally decided on a bridge which was featured in Orson Welles' last film, A Touch of Evil.

It had been rainy all week, and rain was promised for the next day, too, so I was a little nervous we'd have to reschedule. The weather gods were smiling on us, though, and gave us a rain-free afternoon and a beautiful sky with only a few fluffy clouds highlighting the sunset.

To put it mildly, handling two dogs, one of which is a puppy with no concern whatsoever for pleasing you and all manner of interest in bugs and leaves, was difficult. Diana and her photographic assistant came prepared, though, and helped me to get the dogs pointed in the right direction and get me to look appropriately distressed!

She came by the house to drop off the large framed print and the 8" x 10" I ordered, and I was so pleased with the results!

I'm so glad I decided to have Diana do this specific type of shoot for us! I think she caught the dark moodiness of the Noir genre masterfully! Both Sam and Grace look wonderful; and it's not easy to photograph all-black dogs. 

I honestly can't think of a better way to remember him when he's gone. I'll treasure this always!

3 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful and unique way to memorialize your sweet doggo. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your shoot, Shelley. How is Sam? Grace must be nearly as big as him by now, she had grown so much when I last saw you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam is still hanging in there! He's noticeably slowing down, but he still loves his ball and is eating. Grace comes up to his shoulder, now!

      Delete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.