Thursday, September 24, 2020

Home Improvement Project - Part 5 - The Old Picnic Set - All Done!

After all the stain was re-applied, all that was left was to waterproof and re-assemble! I have to admit, though, that I obsessively went over the table with my hands to see if there were drips and drops and to get them sanded don.

The first (and only) coat of waterproofing stuff, below. Note the weird sunlight from the smoke choking the San Fernando Valley! This article said it was the worst smog we've had in nearly thirty years.

Ever the good sport, dad took on the job of re-assembling the set, hammering and drilling wherever necessary.
Of course, when one does these kinds of projects, one cannot do them alone! Supervision is crucial to the successful completion of the tasks at hand, so of course, Grace had to get in on the action.
She does love her grandpa, and when she feels secure enough to pry herself away from my side, she enjoys hanging out with him. Frequently, this involves throwing one of her toys at him. I think she believes that we'll be happier, if only we throw the toy for her!
We did have one little hitch when everything got put back together. One of the crosspieces was split as the leg of the bench was screwed in. It made the bench wobble noticeably, so dad had to go in and do some repair. I guess it was to be expected, considering how old the set is.


But at long last, it was set right, the mess was cleaned up, and we could sit back and admire our "new" table. Dad gave me a big hug and thanked me for all my hard work. I thanked him for reassembling it.
 
And, because I'm trying to get things done in time for Hallowe'en, this is what it looked like the next day! Lol!

It's funny. I've said for years how much I admire the 1920's and 30's style, because everything, even the most practical and functional thing was made to be beautiful. They took time for that. While my picnic set project is in no way on the same level as a gorgeous desk or car from that era, it's certainly a pleasure to sit down on the beautiful bench and use that smooth, blue table top to glaze my jack-o'-lanterns!

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done - it looks beautiful and so functional. I love that you made it over rather than tossing it in the landfill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was definitely a labor of love, and I'm really pleased with the results!

      Delete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.