Saturday, March 13, 2021

News from the Nest, March 2021 Edition


This may look like an unassuming group of pottery, but no! It's much more!

Why? Because it was used on a set for a Bic lighter commercial featuring Martha Stewart!

It's funny how it happened, actually. My dad and former boss were out for their evening walk when they spied one of those Stanley Fatmax rolling tool boxes. I'd mentioned to my dad that my old one, which I used for my clay tools and for schlepping clay, had been wearing out, so when he got back to the house, he told me to go look and see if I could use it. Long story short, I picked it up and got rid of the old toolbox.

A few months later, I was walking Grace and the guy whose toolbox it had been happened to be puttering in his garage. I introduced myself and told him I had his old toolbox and that it was perfect for my clay tools! 

Which got us talking about ceramics, at which point he told me he and his wife had just bought a pottery wheel and were playing around with it. Of course I was delighted to hear it, and told him I'd drop my business card by and to give me a call if they wanted and help with throwing.

I went home and grabbed a business card, wrote a note with some ceramics resources for them to look up, and got a bunch of extra tools I had together for them. I stuck them in a bag, and dropped them in his mailbox the next time I drove by his house.

Well, a month or so later, he called and told me he was a set decorator and asked if I had any ceramics he might be able to rent from me for his next shoot? I had him and his wife come by the house to take a look, and he had me set aside the bunch you see in the picture, above!

Typical of the entertainment field, it doesn't seem that my work got any camera time, though I may be wrong. He did say that Martha was very pleased with his setup and praised the professionalism with which he had conducted his part of the shoot.

And when he returned my things to me with the rental fee, he gave me an idea of the type of work he'd be looking for in the future to use on his sets! 

Can I hear a wahoo?

Now that I have a good idea of what's necessary, I'll adapt a portion of my work to that end. I'll still be selling those pieces; I don't have space enough to store ceramics specifically for rental.

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.