Friday, December 5, 2008

Pumpkin Gutter

Inspiration. A key element in creating, well, anything, really. SpookyBlue, Pumpkinrot, Grim, and others inspired me to begin building props for Halloween. I look at their creations, and I want to make new things. Disappear into the Garage of Doom for a few months and get to it, you know?

Pumpkin carving is different from prop-building, though, because it is an art form that takes away mass, rather than builds it up by layers. If you take away too much in any area, it won't look right. If you don't take away enough, the light won't glow through it in just the right way. Scott Cummins, artist extraordinaire, has got it down to, um, an art form... And he really makes me want to sculpt.

Scott is a well-rounded artist and Jr. High School art teacher (probably mild-mannered, too). He works in numerous art mediums, including pastels, oils, watercolors, and of course, pumpkins.

A friend sent me a few pictures of his works, and I found myself inspired and amazed at both the detail and the delicate hand that created it. I really hope that one day, I'll have both the time and the skill to carve like he does.

Thank you, Scott, for giving me permission to use your pics. Great work!

You can see his photo gallery here, or browse his website at http://www.pumpkingutter.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.