Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Progress, a Little at a Time!

I know it's been a little while since the last post, but I've been busy with those myriad details of life which come with spring! I've been pruning back bushes and trees which have been overdue for attention, getting them fed, and generally being the garden witch I've always been. In between, of course is work, doggo, helping my dad, doing physical therapy for my stupid shoulder tendonosis, and trying to make new things without making said shoulder angry at me!

So, last post, I shared the picture above and one of the designs I did on one of them from start to waiting to be bisque fired. Here's the second one I was working on:


I've been seeing a lot of Ouija/Spirit board designs around lately and thought the idea would make for an interesting bowl design!


I started it the way I started the last one, by covering the bowl with two coats of black underglaze and then a coat of wax resist. Next was laying out the design and doing the painstaking work of scraping away the wax and underglaze. (Can I just mention that you shouldn't have too much coffee just before you do this step? Don't ask me how I know!)


It took me a while to get everything the way I envisioned it, but I thought I did fairly well for my first stab at it. Things weren't spaced completely perfectly, but they still look good!

Next came inlaying the white underglaze.

So now it's drying on the shelf, waiting for more things to be made so all of them can go into the bisque firing!

I finished burnishing the above piece, too! That took me a few hours, but I really like how it shines! I'm looking forward to making more of these and trying out my first pit firing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.