Wednesday, October 11, 2023

The Little Man Who Wasn't There

Click on the pic if you dare...

 
Antigonish [I met a man who wasn't there]

Hughes Mearns

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

When I came home last night at three
The man was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall
I couldn't see him there at all!
Go away, go away, don't you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don't slam the door... (slam!)

Last night I saw upon the stair
A little man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I remember the first time I ran across this. I was reading Stephen King's The Shining. I was probably ten or eleven. I had talked my dad into buying it for me from the five and dime (now long gone) by our local grocery store.

Obviously, Dad didn't know who Stephen King was, which is hilarious in retrospect, since he ended up working on Cat's Eye.

I still think of those haunted, bloody, hallways...

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.