Monday, November 28, 2011

Dark Music

I love the soundtrack to Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's dramatic, symphonic, and the bass notes just seem to resonate in your chest and grab your mood. I use it in the graveyard on Hallowe'en night to spook the kids. 


If you don't have the soundtrack, I'd suggest you go here to listen to some samples and perhaps pick up a copy for yourself.


You can click on the pic to pick up a copy of the collector's edition of the movie.


And if you're something of a movie geek, like I am, you can see the making of Bram Stoker's Dracula on YouTube. I made a playlist, so just hit "play all." It's a fun watch, even though the sound isn't synced right...

8 comments:

  1. I had thought Danny Elfman did the music for this movie, it sounds like his work. But it was this guy, Wojciech Kilar, who I can't help but think took inspiration from Elfman's work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The costume book from the film is wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent some time on the sets of Coppola's Dracula in Culver City -- a friend and I were extras on standby, and he ended up in some scenes with Van Helsing's classes. Anyway, all the sets were amazing just to be standing around and taking in all the spooky coolness. The soundtrack is one of my favorites as well, and captures the feel of the story and the atmosphere so perfectly.
    Excellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wojciech Kilar has been scoring movies since the 1950's, so if anybody took inspiration from anybody, it'd be Mister Danny - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004384/. If memory serves, Coppola chose him because his work is very evocative of the same part of the world from which Dracula originated.

    Fun Fact: American Horror Story has been using the main theme music from Bram Stoker's Dracula in association with a particular set of characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Elfman has actually cited Kilar as an inspiration on him, so it's definitely the other way around. I like Elfman, I truly do, but I think Kilar's stuff is richer and more complex, personally. The Coppala Dracula soundtrack is one of my absolute faves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the heads up on Elfman/Kilar. I didn't know that before.

    ReplyDelete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.