Thursday, October 22, 2020

Pepper's Ghost - Lots of Bang for Your Buck!

It's been a few years since I posted about Paul Lasaine's Pepper's Ghost illusion and his subsequent how-to video. but I felt that with social distancing being the watchword for Hallowe'en 2020, it could use another bump!

Paul Lasaine is a production designer, VFX art director and supervisor, matte painting artist and supervisor, and won an Annie Award (awards are for outstanding animation) for his work on Boxtrolls

Though the original video was posted in 2007, it's still a high-impact, low-budget effect for 2020. It's fairly easy to achieve for the rank beginner if you're willing to invest some time and patience. While I do enjoy the more commercially available projection effects we have access to these days, what I like about the Pepper's Ghost illusion is that it looks realistic and has a huge "wow" factor. I feel that we've become so accustomed to the look of CG, the "reality" of Pepper's Ghost is still as viable as it was in 1862, when it was developed.

Take a look at the videos and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.