Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Progress!

Stamped bowl, painted with iron oxide and then wiped so it
only sits in the deep parts.

I love making. I detest glazing. I really, really do.

It's absolutely agonizing,  how long glazing actually takes, particularly when you have stamped and carved pieces which tend to giggle at you if you get the idea that you can just dip them in glaze and have it all turn out without little glaze-less patches where air bubbles develop!


So you have to go in first with a small brush and whatever glaze or oxide or whatever you want to use, and painstakingly paint into those deep spots so that when you do finally dip your piece, you don't end up with ugly bare areas.

And people wonder why handmade is so expensive!



The folks over at the ceramics studio have been so accommodating, scheduling so that I can get things rolling forward. We're two, three-hour sessions in (the last session, a kind friend helped me!) and I have at least one more. I actually brought a couple of jars with their glaze home so I can paint the low spots before I get back into the studio this Sunday. I am really hoping I can get it all done this next session!

My open house date is nearly here: October 3! 

Don't panic, don't panic, DON'T PANIC!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.