Thursday, August 12, 2021

Glaze Test Results? Not Right, Doggone It!

I think it's important to share failures as well as successes, hence this post!  

While it's disappointing to have a test go wrong, there are things to be learned from it. That's why we test first, right? It's much better than ruining a whole kiln load of work.

In some areas, there was clouding, which usually indicates the glaze is too thick. In other areas there was what appeared to be some pinholing, rather than that nice, smooth texture we all love in our finished pottery.



I took these pics and sent them off to both my old ceramics teacher and to the glaze manufacturer for troubleshooting. I should be getting some answers back soon, and hopefully they're some fairly easy tweaks. Heck, maybe I can re-fire these guys and they'll be safe to use!


Well, one step closer to awesomeness, anyway. :)

2 comments:

  1. Shoot - what a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ain't kidding! But fortunately I have a phone call scheduled for some troubleshooting.

      Delete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.