Thursday, October 6, 2022

ShellHawk's Bookshelf: Mexican Gothic

 

This post has links to Amazon which may provide me with a commission for qualifying purchases, although it's about as likely as my suddenly becoming a newt.

There's nothing like settling down on a crisp, autumn afternoon with a good, creepy book, is there? Since the Earth, herself, is doing her yearly slowdown in preparation for the long nap which is winter, it encourages us to slow down, too, and enjoy a little peace in our overly-busy lives.

I'll tell you this: Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia  should be at the top of your list for creepy reading this October. 

It's a story which takes us back a quite few years, back to the days when debutante balls and dowries were the way of things, and marrying off your daughters to settle debts wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Noemí Taboada is the very picture of a wealthy, glamorous debutante, but she's no airheaded socialite. After receiving an alarming letter from her newly-wedded cousin, she decides to arrange for a visit to that cousin's new home, High Place, to investigate her disturbing claims of being slowly poisoned.

Upon arrival, Noemí hears rumors of the Doyles, her cousin's new family, and their long and sordid history. She begins to feel that the house, itself, is invading her sleep and haunting her with dreams of a woman trapped in the walls. Walls which she feels, in her waking world, are slowly closing in on her.

If you've followed my blog for any amount of time, you know my history with horror stretches back to my childhood. I'm somewhat immune to the usual tropes of horror stories because I've read so very much of it, so when I tell you this book creeped me out in the way a great horror story should, you know it's going to be good!

There are rumors of Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos turning Mexican Gothic into a new series for Hulu, and I certainly hope that project moves forward and sees the light of day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.