Friday, June 19, 2009

News From the Nest

This week was pretty intense. I'm taking a class in Raku pottery for college credit. I had heard from several students who were in my ceramics class last semester that my teacher was really great with the pottery wheel, and if I wanted to get some good practice and instruction, this was the guy to learn from. They were absolutely right.
Source.
Brian Hayes goes into detail without overwhelming you, and shares his passion for the art and the Japanese culture while encouraging every single student to stretch themselves to do the best work they can do. He taught me a few new throwing techniques this week, and it was like a light went on for me. A large chunk of frustration dropped away, and my wheel work has started to click for me. Give me seven or eight years and a ton of teaching, and I'll be a flippin' awesome potter! Needless to say, I have enjoyed this week's class enormously!

In other news, Mr. ShellHawk and I are celebrating our fifth anniversary. We have both been in pretty poopy relationships before, so we're really grateful to have each other and we enjoy a huge level of peace in our marriage. This anniversary, Mr. ShellHawk surprised me by telling me we are going to Safari West, which is close to the Napa area.

A little chunk of Africa, close to home. I am really looking forward to it! We will be taking our mascot with us for pictures with various critters and patient (and likely, confused-looking) people.

I'll post again on Monday! Have a great weekend, all!

1 comment:

  1. Happy anniversary :) Enjoy your safari!

    That style of pottery is quite nice. I'm so glad you're learning more and more. Seeing artists expand their talent and people in general learning about what they love gives me warm fuzzies.

    Great pic of the pumpkins and glow-in-the-dark bottle display.

    ReplyDelete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.