Sunday, August 23, 2009

News from the Garage of Doom

Yesterday was a pretty productive day in the Garage of Doom. Since my hubby was helping neighbor V's hubby with replacing a bathroom floor (cutting an laying tile-fun!), neighbor V came over to help me in the Garage. We got a plaster cast of her hands done, which I needed for my stirring witch. Since we used vaseline for the release, her hands were silky soft when we got done. She said she felt like she was having a spa treatment! (Plus, of course, she had an hour of legitimately not being able to do anything for the kids, and actually was forced to sit down and relax for awhile...) I love my neighbor, I gotta say.

She had to take a quick break to go see what the boys were up to, so I put the first layer of paint on the new angel garden statue I got at Big Lots. Their garden statuary is on sale for half price right now, so you should think about heading over if you need more for your cemetery.

From there, we moved on to the problem of repairing Stewie. For those of you who don't know who Stewie is, he's the scarecrow I made last year who is serving as the header for my blog. Stewie was in great shape last year, until the torrential rain we had on Halloween soaked his already forward-heavy head and bent his schedule 40 pvc right at a point where we had drilled holes to run zip ties through for chicken wire support. Several ideas were tossed back and forth after I made a slit up the back of his main support pipe. Re-bar up the middle of the pipe? Couldn't do it, because of all the other zip ties in the pipe. (Best Neighbor V quote of the day: "Stewie, you are such a man." Couldn't stop laughing...) Re-bar through the pvc in his shouolders? Same problem. After much thinking and a couple of Blue Moon wheat beers, we determined tht we'd have to build an additional set of supports along the lines of what the symbol for pi looks like, strap him to that, and set him back in his stand. His trenchcoat will cover it up, and no one will be the wiser. Bummer about the re-bar, though. It was a good thought.

We moved on to the start of the Beloved tombstone. Measured and the basic body of the tombstone before we had to stop for the night and start dinner. I used the cheap white 1 1/2" insulating foam you can pick up at Home Depot here in California, and I'll glue the body together today and then add the more expensive pink foam to the front of the tombstone. It's hard to find the pink foam here, as 99% of stores don't carry it because it's considered a cold-weather product and it just doesn't get that cold here. I had to drive for 2 1/2 hours one way to pick the stuff up, but I know it'll be worth it.

As an aside, I have to look into my home office every time I head out to the Garage of Doom. It sits as an accusation; I've been working on it off and on (mostly off) for over a year and still haven't finished it. Maybe I'll get to it. *sigh*

It's mimosa Sunday today. We feel it's important to get your vitamin C, and champagne is a great delivery system. Our extended family is coming over from across the street to share in this healthy tradition.


Wow! Helpful AND health-concious. What great neighbors!

1 comment:

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.